Home | Chat Now | Documents & Guides | Forums | News | Servers | Services | Support | United IRC Networks
Acceptable Operating Policy (AOP)
When you operate on the IRC4Fun Network, you agree to be bound by the following rules. If you do not abide by the following rules, you may find yourself faced with Corrective Actions, up to (and including) suspension/termination of your access/O:line(s).
IRC Operators and Server Administrators are users too, and bound by the same Acceptable Use Policy as Guests are. As an IRC4Fun Staff member, you are expected to conduct yourself as a Role model to our Guests.
- You agree to follow the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) as well as this Acceptable Operating Policy (AOP)
- You will be polite and professional while /Oper’d up or using your Access.
- You are not required to participate in #IRC4Fun, but it is highly RECOMMENDED.
- IRC4Fun Staff will not become involved in Channel disputes. (Involving channel bans, settings, ops, etc)
- IRC4Fun Staff will not go on other IRC networks and cause disturbances or violate other networks’ rules.
- Each server’s administrative team retains the right to deny access to or use of its server’s resources to any user(s), group, site, or domain, without the benefit of prior warning or notification if they so choose
IRC4Fun Staff has access to resources intended to help serve IRC Operators, CService Team, and other Staff officials with various network-related functions. These resources are typically not available to our Guests, and use of the resources is monitored at all times to prevent abuse. Below are some of the resources available, and their standards:
- Uworld (Network Staff Service) – Underworld is the IRC4Fun IRC Operator central control service. It is used to aid Network Staff with G-lines, MODE changes, etc.
- Uworld2 (Network Staff Service) – Underworld2 is the Backup IRC4Fun IRC Operator control service. It is used to aid Network Staff with G-lines, MODE changes, etc.
- O:line (IRC Operator Access) – Your O:line gives you access to functions on the IRC Server it is added to, depending on the access level(s) assigned to it.
- W (Channel Fix) - IRC Operators have more functions available to them depending upon their level, flags and rank.
- X (Channel Service) - Channel Service Representatives have more functions available to them depending upon their level and rank.
Access Restrictions (G/K/Z:lines)
From time to time, it will be necessary for IRC Operators/Administrators to add access restriction lines (G/K/Z:lines) to prevent abuse. Refer to the below guidelines as to which access restrictions should be used, and when. (NOTE: IRC Operator/Administrator access should never be abused by using Access Restrictions (G/K/Z:lines) or forced disconnections (KILLs) unless absolutely necessary to stop abuse or prevent further abuse. As an IRC Network, we want to grow; and should (as a business would) try to correct behavior as opposed to getting rid of a guest.)
- Kills (Forcing user to be disconnected from IRC4Fun) – KILLs may be issued as a first alternative to Access Restrictions (G/K/Z:lines) to stop/prevent abuse.
- K-lines (Local Server Ban) – K:lines may be added by Server Administrators/IRC Operators for any reason they choose, if any.
- G-lines (Global IRC4Fun Ban) – G:lines may only be added for violations of the IRC4Fun Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). Individual Server Policies may be enforced with K-lines, however Network Policies are enforced by G-lines.
- Z-lines (Global IRC4Fun IP Ban) – Z:lines may only be added for violations of the IRC4Fun Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). Individual Server Policies may be enforced with K-lines, however Network Policies are enforced by G-lines.
Abuse of Privileges
- Using Uworld/Uworld2 to manipulate a Channel’s modes/ops/bans while not attending to official network activity.
- Using X/W to manipulate a channel's modes/ops/bans/access while not attending to official network activity.
- Retaliating against users and/or other IRC4Fun Staff.
- Adding a G:line or Z:line for a reason other than violation of the IRC4Fun
- Asking any user for their CService account password. (This is never needed by any Staff member)
- CService Representatives, IRC Operators and Server Administrators are expected to remain active. Any staff member that is missing for 30 or more days without advanced notice can have their access(es) disabled, suspended or removed.
- Server Administrators are IRC4Fun’s central management team. Each Server Administrator casts a vote on changes to the network, policies, routing, linking/delinking, etc. with a weight based on their linked resources.
- Server Administrators are responsible for maintaining a stable, safe server for IRC4Fun clients to chat on.
- Server Administrators may NOT add local/global IRC Operators or staff without prior approval from other IRC4Fun Administrators (a Call For Vote).
- Server Administrators are responsible for ensuring that their staff follows this Acceptable Operating Policy (AOP) as well as the IRC4Fun Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
- Server Administrators are responsible for ensuring that their staff is Correctively Actioned upon abuse.
- In the event that the Server Administrator refuses to Correct actions taken by it’s operators; a Corrective Action may be taken towards the Server Administrator and the Operator or Helper. The administrator and staff member in question may be prevented from /OPER’ing up, or the administrator’s server may be forcibly split from the network and JUPEd.
- Servers that split and remain split 30 or more days will be subject to automatic delink.
- Server Administrators that go MIA for 30 or more days can be subject to delink and/or removal of access to the network, DNS removal of linked (or split) server.
- Periodically updates will be issued for our IRC Server Software (Nefarious2 IRCu):
- Security Releases: When an update is released due to security purposes, each server will be expected to update within 24 hours. If a server has not updated a security release within 24 hours, IRC4Fun Admins will take a vote on having the server JUPEd until it complies. If compliance doesn’t occur within 7 days; the server will be juped and IRC4Fun Admins will call for a vote on permanently delinking the server.
- Normal Releases: When an update is released, it is strongly recommended that all servers update their software within 14 days. All servers must update their software on normal releases within 30 days of the software release date.
- IRC4Fun Administrators can call for a vote to update these terms at any time on the official admins@ mailing list.
Consequences for Violation
- If you violate any rule or regulation stated in this document, you will be subject to progressive disciplinary action, including but not limited to suspension of privileges, forced removal from the network, or even delink or having applicable server JUPEd where necessary.
- Server Administrators are responsible for their Staff, and for Corrective Actioning them upon abuse. Server Administrators may call for a vote to Corrective Action other Server Administrator’s where abuse has been committed and requires Corrective Action.
Appealing a Violation
If you are suspended from privileges or denied access to an IRC4Fun server or the entire network, you should follow the procedure outlined below. Please note, however, that IRC4Fun server administrators are under no obligation to take any further action.
- If you are a CService Representative, contact your the CService Coordinator, explaining how future incidents can be avoided.
- If you are a Local IRC Operator or Global IRC Operator, contact your server administrator, explaining how future incidents can be avoided.
- If you are Server Administrator, contact abuse-com @ IRC4Fun.net, explaining how future incidents can be avoided.
Last Updated: 02/05/2020
- epsilon.* delinked (February 21, 2020)
- We're sad to announce that epsilon.* has been delinked... [Read more]
- Celebrate New Years in #2020 (December 29, 2019)
- We'll be holding a New Years celebration event in #2020 while counting down - and you're invited to join! [Read more]
- Gaga.IRC4Fun.net is now coven.IRC4Fun.net (December 10, 2019)
- The client server illusion.IRC4Fun.net is now known as apocalypse.IRC4Fun.net. Using the old server address (Gaga.IRC4Fun.net) will continue (temporarily) to redirect you to the new server's address. Please check your IRC clients and ensure that they are connecting to the new address OR irc.IRC4Fun.net. [Read more]
- IRC4Fun has a new website! (November 30, 2019)
- Due to issues with our old website CMS, we've decided to redesign and re-write the IRC4Fun website so that it is easier to use, navigate and quickly find what you're looking for. We hope you enjoy the new site! [Read more]
- illusion.IRC4Fun.net is now apocalypse.IRC4Fun.net (November 26, 2019)
- The client server illusion.IRC4Fun.net is now known as apocalypse.IRC4Fun.net. Using the old server address (illusion.IRC4Fun.net) will continue (temporarily) to redirect you to the new server's address. Please check your IRC clients and ensure that they are connecting to the new address OR irc.IRC4Fun.net. [Read more]
More News (Archives)
2007 - 2019 IRC4Fun.net.