Spam & How to avoid it
Most of us are familiar with this term; and regard it as either unsolicited advertising or off-topic annoyances towards users and/or channels.
Sometimes massive outputs of text, information or data are also regarded as SPAM.
Unfortunately, (as with every protocol or public platform) since the beginning: SPAM exists on IRC.
Types of common IRC spam:
- In-Channel Messages (or notices, CTCPs, invites, etc.)
- Private Messages (or notices, CTCPs, DCCs, invites, etc.)
Combat IRC Spam
Luckily, there are ways to prevent and/or restrict IRC spam that do not involve fire or pitch forks!
- If you are going paste a lot of information to a user or channel; instead consider using an IRC4Fun Paste and providing the user or channel a link to it. (This helps to ensure you are not mistaken as a Spammer)
* Channel Operators can also QUIET all un-identified users in a channel with /MODE #Channel +q $~a * Channel Operators can also QUIET all un-identified users in a channel that match a specific nick!user@host with /MODE #Channel +q $u:<mask>
- Channel Operators with the proper flags or access can set ChanServ ANTIFLOOD. (/msg ChanServ SET #Chat ANTIFLOOD KICKBAN)
- Channel Operators can also set channel mode +z which will show messages blocked (by +m, +q or +b) to Channel Operators only. Normal users will not see the messages that are blocked.
- If your channel is getting spammed often: you can also ask IRC4Fun Staff in #IRC4Fun or by /INVITE Sigyn #YourChannel. (as long as it is not a game, bot, or relay channel, and you are opped [@user])
Please consider taking a look at the User Modes page to learn more about each user mode and what they do.
- You can always set User Modes +R (which requires that a user be registered and identified with IRC4Fun Services) to Private Message (or notice, CTCP, DCC, invite, etc.) you.
- You can always set User Modes +g (which requires that a user be in your /ACCEPT list) to Private Message (or notice, CTCP, DCC, invite, etc.) you.
Please feel free to report SPAM, but do not paste the spam yourself. Instead, please paste logs of it in an IRC4Fun Paste and then provide the paste link to IRC4Fun Staff.
If you paste the SPAM back to us; you may get automatically banned by Sigyn, so please provide us with the paste links only.