Welcome to the new IRC4Fun!
New features / functionality:
- Channel Modes – We now offer many more channel modes which enhance channels’ ability to manage and operate efficiently.
- Channel Extbans – Extends ban modes to support alternate forms of matching and actions.
- User Modes – We now offer many more user modes which enhance users’ IRC experience.
- SASL Authentication – Widely supported (by modern IRC clients) authentication to IRC services during connection. (You must connect on an SSL port for SASL)
- Cert Fingerprint Authentication – Widely supported (by modern IRC clients) authentication to IRC services without use of password(s). (You must connect on an SSL port for CertFP)
- Hostname/IP Cloaking – IRC4Fun now cloaks (or hides) portions of your hostname/IP from other users. (You and IRC4Fun Staff can still see your real hostname/IP address via
- Modern User Cloaking – IRC4Fun’s registered (and identified) users are now given a modern cloak of users/AccountName.
- Finding Staff is Easier than ever! – If you find yourself with questions or needing assistance from an IRC4Fun Staff member, finding one is now easier than ever!
/JOIN #Helpand look for an Operator (@), Administrator (&) or Owner (~). You can ask your question in the channel, or private message.
- Use a
/WHO IRC4Fun/staff/*output to find a Staff member online. (All IRC4Fun Staff have a similar cloak: IRC4Fun/staff/account)
Services changes / upgrades:
- X has been retired. Due to the way that X’s databases stored data and accesses, and the way that our new Services store data — a migration was not possible.
- Usernames (Accounts) on X will be not transferred over to our new NickServ. (Users must register their nicknames with NickServ) IRC4Fun Staff will assist users who had an X account to register that accountname with NickServ if it is taken.
- Channels on X will not be transferred over to our new ChanServ. (Users must register their channels with ChanServ) IRC4Fun Staff have set all previously registered channels to persist (even when empty) and added an AutoOp mode (+w) for the founders, so that they may be auto-opped and able to register the channel.
- Channel Accesses on X will not be transferred over to our new ChanServ. (X used a numeral, granular based access list for channels — ChanServ uses XOP, Flags, and different numeral levels. The transfer of accesses on each channel would have been inaccurate/impossible.) Channel Founders can assign access as they see fit after registering their channel with ChanServ.
- NOTE(s) on X will not be transferred over to our new MemoServ. (These note[s] are effectively lost.) Please use MemoServ for small messages to other users, going forward.
- Services now offer users many, many more features & commands. (You can even set your Twitter/Facebook profiles in your
- Users can now register 1 Nickname, and GROUP up to 5 others to their account.
- Nickname Expiration Reminders NickServ will email you a reminder when your Nickname(s) are about to expire! Nicknames expire after 180 days of not being used. (be sure to add Services@IRC4Fun.net to your contacts to avoid it going to the Junk/Spam folder)
- Channel Expiration Reminders ChanServ will email you a reminder when your Channel(s) are about to expire! Channels expire after 60 days of not being used. (be sure to add Services@IRC4Fun.net to your contacts to avoid it going to the Junk/Spam folder)
- MemoServ will email you a notice when you’ve received a memo! This notification email can also be turned off via
/NS HELP SET(be sure to add Services@IRC4Fun.net to your contacts to avoid it going to the Junk/Spam folder)
- ChanServ supports all commands and statuses as provided by our servers. (Unlike X, who was unaware of certain newer channel modes)
- Channel registration no longer requires Staff approval! Users can now register channels instantly and without supporters, without waiting for Staff approval. (Channels which violate our Acceptable Use Policy will be closed)
- ChanServ supports a wide variety of new settings and ways to run your channel exactly as you wish! (See
/CS HELP SET)
- Channel Mode Locks (See
/CS HELP MODE) are now set through ChanServ and enforced through IRC4Fun servers. (Modes which are not locked into an on or off position can still be set or unset.)
- Channel Topic Locks (See
/CS HELP TOPIC) are now set through ChanServ and enforced through IRC4Fun servers.
- Services Staff will now contact users via MemoServ in regards to issues with their nicknames or channels. (Such as to notify of abuse, notify of closures/suspensions, etc.)
There are many, many more changes that we will highlight in the future – so make sure to stay tuned!